|Relations||Eurydice (wife) †|
|Affiliation||House of Hades|
|Voice||Michael Ailshie (speaking)
Darren Korb (singing)
Orpheus is a legendary musician. During his life, he lost his wife and muse Eurydice and ventured to the Underworld to plea for her return. Although he was ultimately unable to bring her back to life, he charmed Hades with his music such that after his death, Hades employed Orpheus as his court musician. However, because he has lost his muse, he is unable to bring himself to sing, though he may be persuaded otherwise.
Prior to the events of Hades, Orpheus was locked into solitary confinement by Lord Hades due to his refusal to sing. His sentence can be revoked by purchasing the Court Musician's Sentence (which costs 1 Diamond) from the House Contractor. Once revoked, Orpheus will immediately appear in the House of Hades.
After giving him at least 1 , Orpheus will begin to sing again, citing Zagreus' determination as inspiration despite the loss of his muse. Thereafter, Orpheus may occasionally be heard singing when Zagreus returns to the House.
Orpheus' affinity gauge is maxed out at 8 hearts.
Orpheus' favor is earned by voiding his contract, which allows him to visit Eurydice in Asphodel.
As you deepen your relationship with both Orpheus and Eurydice, Zagreus will ask Eurydice for a copy of her song, Good Riddance, which he will share with Orpheus. After receiving the song, Orpheus will begin singing it in the House. After several more conversations with both, Eurydice will begin a meeting with:
What happens now, hon...? What I mean is... now you got me thinking about Orpheus again, so... what am I supposed to do with that?
To progress further you will need to have:
- Both Orpheus and Eurydice at a minimum of 5 hearts
- Access to the Administrative Chamber (purchased through the House Contractor)
- A conversation with Nyx (who must be at 5 hearts) about the Admin Chamber (which can also be triggered by starting Sisyphus' liberation quest)
- A conversation with Hades about Orpheus' contract (which requires Orpheus to have started singing again)
- A followup conversation with Nyx about Orpheus' sentence, in which she tells you the location of his file in the Admin Chamber
The next conversation you have with Orpheus will earn his favor and complete the Musician and Muse prophecy in the Fated List of Minor Prophecies.
For quotes and dialogue regarding Orpheus, please refer to Orpheus/Quotes.
- Lament of Orpheus: unlocked by gifting Orpheus at least 1 .
- Hymn to Zagreus: requires Orpheus to have regained the will to sing and gifting Dionysus 1 . Unlocked by a random conversation with Dionysus in which he asks you to lie to Orpheus.
- Good Riddance: requires Zagreus to have purchased the Court Music Stand from the House Contractor, encountered Eurydice in Asphodel, and progressed through her storyline enough to obtain sheet music from her. Following these steps, the song can be unlocked by purchasing it from the Contractor, though Orpheus can sing it without needing to purchase it.
- A player may lose the ability to give nectar to Orpheus if they had not done so prior to him beginning to sing.